Each year the period around Christmas and New Years causes firefighters to cringe and worry with each set of tones. Anyone who has been in this business for long as seen all to often the tragedy of loss. However, around Christmas the loss seems much more poignant that normal. Help us protect your family this year by observing a few safety tips with decorations and candles.
The video provided by NIST is a clear reminder of how dangerous this time of the year can be if we don’t take precautions.
- Don’t place your live Christmas tree close to a heat source, including a fireplace or heat vent.
- Keep the tree stand filled with water at all times.
- Never put tree branches or needles in a fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Inspect holiday lights for frayed wires, bare spots, gaps in the insulation, broken or cracked sockets, and excessive kinking or wear before putting them up.
- Use only nonflammable decorations.